Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Silver Dollar Pancakes

At first, I didn't like them. They're not big like the ones glorified by commercials and tv shows. They weren't large and fluffy like the ones on the pockets. I grudgingly ate them, but found that they were absolutely delicious.

Does size make a difference? I think you could say so, in this case.

My mom told me that her mother would make these pancakes for her and her three siblings. They didn't have the patience to wait for a large pancake to be made, so her mother would make Silver Dollar Pancakes--that is, a smaller version of the same thing.


Silver Dollar Pancakes


Ingredients:

Pancake batter
Cooking oil (we used Canola Oil)
Butter (optional)
Syrup of choice (optional)
A small spoon

Have pancake batter already made. Heat up the pan and pour a little of cooking oil into it. Let it get warm. Use a small spoon to get a scoop of batter, and easily pour it out onto the pan, making a small pancake. Let it cook, on both sides, until desired look is achieved.

I find that they taste the best when they have just a hint of dark crispiness at the edges. These can easily be made Diabetes-safe by using sugar-free syrup, which I find tastes almost exactly like the regular sugary kind.

My mom made these for breakfast this morning, and it greatly brightened my day.

For syrup, I used Mrs. Butter-Worth's. I find it iconic for the typical American pancake breakfast. That, along with a glass of skim milk, made me feel like I'm livin' the dream.


No comments: