Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mmm, Salad.


There's not many things better in the world than a nice dosage of vegetables. The problem is, exactly how do we get those vegetables in? One of the most obvious answers is, a salad.

I've always loved salads. When I was little, I was obsessed with rabbits, and my mom convinced me that salads were "rabbit food", so of course I loved it. I ate salad at every chance I could get, and I still do.

There are endless types of salads, and not all the ones made in a home kitchen look terribly professional if you just throw some iceburg lettuce in with some carrots and drizzle Ranch dressing. No, some salads need to have style.

Thankfully though, a simple salad doesn't require much work. All you really need for a salad are the obvious things-- lettuce, cheese, dressing, and other things.

Oh, fine, alright. I'll make a recipe. It's redundant, I tell you.

The Simplest Salad
Ingredients:

Lettuce of Your Choice
Carrots, chopped
Cheese of Your Choice (Optional)
Dressing (Optional)

Take the lettuce and put it in a bowl. Add carrots, cheese, dressing, or other things at your own discretion.
Sounds easy, huh? That's because it is.

Here's how my salad went. I picked out the usual spinach leaves, and then found some delicious Butter Lettuce.



Neat looking, huh? That's because it's still alive, instead of just dug up and plopped in a container. It's even got the roots!



That's so cool. It tastes good, too. It's got a nice, buttery taste (hence the name). It's also soft and nice to eat. Almost fluffy.

So here's what I did with my oh-so-delicious butter lettuce.
  • Step one: Find a bowl.


Isn't that a cute bowl? Look at the little whale! Awwww.

  • Add lettuce to the bowl. Cut up carrots and add them as well.


I even cut my little carrots into hearts, stars, and flowers! It's not really safe to cut them without a professional vegetable cutter, but if you think you can handle it, go for it.

  • Add cheese.

I used Gorgonzola. Because it's delicious.

  • Add other ingredients of your choosing, such as dressing, croutons, and the like.
For my dressing, I used a olive oil vinaigrette dressing sort of thing. It was delicious. And, since I'm a sucker for crackers, I also added my oh-so-loved Pecan Nut Thins.


Blue Diamond Pecan Nut Thins
are my anti-drug, no lie. They are so delicious-- whether it be for snacking, adding to salads, or anything else. Granted, they're not ideal for salads, but I like it for a bit of extra crunch. Plus, they're totally healthy for you, and a better substitute for oily Ritz crackers or saltines.

That salad was totally worth all the work I put into cutting those carrot slices into little shapes. I think the cuteness made it taste better. And the butter lettuce was fantastic.

Next time you need a vegetable fix, just try a simple salad. It's practically fail-proof!

1 comment:

William Fahrnbach said...

Interesting, I've never had Butter Lettuce.